you're going to splurge on anything for your wedding, make it the
pictures. Hiring the best photographer you can afford will ensure
against disappointment and regret that come from poor pictures.
Finding the Right
Photographer for your Jewish Celebration
As always, get recommendations
from friends as well as the other vendors whose services you are using,
such as the caterer, makeup artist, or florist. If you can, look
through friends' albums as well as several studios. Bridal fairs
and photography shows are another place to search for professionals. And
of course, search the
Jewish Celebration Vendor Directory for Photographers in your Area.
Keep in mind that yours will be a JEWISH
Celebration. It is important to hire photographers who are well
versed in the art of photo-taking at such celebrations. For example,
consider a Jewish wedding. The rituals are different, the high
points of the ceremony are unique, and the necessary setup for under the
Chuppah celebration requires positioning, lighting, and an understanding
of the process.
A Jewish Wedding must-take Photo List:
• Bride's Portrait
• Groom's Portrait
• Bride and groom - official portrait
• Bride and groom - and entire wedding party
• Bride and groom and family members
• Bride with parents
• Groom with parents
• Bride and groom with both sets of parents
• Bride and groom with grandparents and other special family members
• Members of family walking down the aisle
• Groom and parents as they enter
• Bride and parents as they enter
• Under the Chuppah - before the ceremony
• The officiating rabbi "at work"
• Drinking from the cup of wine
• Placement of wedding ring
• Breaking the glass
• The walk back as married couple
Lots of pictures will be snapped during the
party. Advise your photographer and video camera man know who is
family and who are your close or "must be photographed" friends.
Practical Advice - Questions
to Ask When Choosing your Photographer
When arranging for your special
event, caution is always recommended. A little extra work will
• Check out
the photographer and videographer you choose with the Better
Business Bureau. - as always, better safe than sorry.
• Schedule the date, time and place of photo sessions. Detail
exact time of Photographer arrival and departure. Negotiate
"overtime" fee, in the event its needed.
• Discuss in detail the number photo albums including number of
pages per album, price for additional photos in various sizes,
number of pictures to be taken at the affair, and number of proofs
to be shown to you.
• Specify that YOU will choose which pictures will be included in
• Agree on time schedule for: delivery of proofs and final product.
• Discuss terms of payment, percentage of deposit and date when
balance is due. Verify if there any hidden or extra charges,
such as travel expenses.
• REVIEW CANCELLATION POLICY.
• Have everything documented