laws concerning redemption of the first-born of man are referred to
Sefer Shmot, Exodus 13:12-15
that thou shalt set apart unto the LORD all that openeth the womb;
every firstling that is a male, which thou hast coming of a beast,
shall be the LORD'S.
13. And every firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb;
and if thou wilt not redeem it, then thou shalt break its neck; and
all the first-born of man among thy sons shalt thou redeem.
14. And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come,
saying: What is this? that thou shalt say unto him: By strength of
hand the LORD brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage;
15. and it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go
that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the
first-born of man, and the first-born of beast; therefore I
sacrifice to the LORD all that openeth the womb, being males; but
all the first-born of my sons I redeem.
Sefer Shmot, Exodus 22:28
Thou shalt not delay to offer of the fulness of thy harvest, and of
the outflow of thy presses. The first-born of thy sons shalt thou
give unto Me.
Sefer Shmot, Exodus 34:20
20 And the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb;
and if thou wilt not redeem it, then thou shalt break its neck. All
the first-born of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear
before Me empty.
Sefer Vayikra, Leviticus 12:2,4
Speak unto the children of Israel, saying: If a woman be delivered,
and bear a man-child, then she shall be unclean seven days; as in
the days of the impurity of her sickness shall she be unclean.
3. And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be
4. And she shall continue in the blood of purification three and
thirty days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the
sanctuary, until the days of her purification be fulfilled.
Sefer Bamidbar (Numbers) Chapter 3
'Take the Levites instead of all the first-born among the children
of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of their cattle;
and the Levites shall be Mine, even the LORD'S.
Sefer Bamidbar, Chapter 8
14. Thus shalt thou separate the Levites from among the children
of Israel; and the Levites shall be Mine.
15. And after that shall the Levites go in to do the service of
the tent of meeting; and thou shalt cleanse them, and offer them for
16 For they are wholly given unto Me from among the children of
Israel; instead of all that openeth the womb, even the first-born of
all the children of Israel, have I taken them unto Me.
17. For all the first-born among the children of Israel are
Mine, both man and beast; on the day that I smote all the first-born
in the land of Egypt I sanctified them for Myself.
18. And I have taken the Levites instead of all the first-born
among the children of Israel.
Sefer Bamidbar (Numbers) Chapter 18
16. And their redemption-money--from a month old shalt thou
redeem them--shall be, according to thy valuation, five shekels of
silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary--the same is twenty gerahs.