Beauty for Brides, Moms and More
Putting On a Face - A Do It
You may be one of the brave and capable women and prefer
applying your own makeup, regardless of the occasion. More power to you!
But for those who would prefer to hire a professional makeup artist for
a special celebration, here are some tips on finding one.
• Check out local department stores, and speak to beauty consultants
at the cosmetic counters. Many of them offer a free makeover. Tell
them about your goal of finding a talented professional to cater to
your needs on your special celebration date. When you find one that
you like and feel comfortable with, ask if they make house calls, or
if you may schedule time at the store on the day of the celebration.
• Ask your friends and acquaintances. Word of mouth has always been
a good source for reliable information.
• The Yellow Pages in
your area is another source. You can make a list of beauty salons,
call them and find out if they offer makeup services.
• Ask your photographer and/or your hair stylist. Most professionals
in these fields work or know of makeup artists that they consider
competent and reliable.
Working With a Professional Makeup Artist
It is important to let your makeup artist know what you
feel most comfortable in. It is equally important to listen with an open
mind to the suggestions of your chosen professional. It is for their
expertise that you hire him or her in the first place!
• In most cases, it is not a good idea to search for a "new look,"
rather - strive for an enhanced version of your everyday self.
• If possible, try and have a "trial run" -- meaning, have your face
done for a party or gathering before your big celebration, and judge
by the feedback you receive.
• If you're to have a "rehearsal" makeover, have yourself
photographed. Mirrors and photos don't always agree :)
• Another good idea is to check your "face" several hours after the
"rehearsal" makeover and determine how good you look.
Practical Advice - Questions You Want
Answered - Check List
Remember your budget - remember the need for guaranties
• If you are not down to a "must have" makeup artist, but narrowed
your field to several, make sure to include the "cost factor" in
your final choice.
• Find out whether the price of having a "home visit" is worth it
financially. Check if your makeup artist expects to paid for travel
expenses. While it may be more convenient, the "at home" service may
be financially too extravagant.
• Ask for a guaranteed appearance by the makeup artist, or an
equally talented replacement in the event your chosen makeup artist
cannot be there on the scheduled day.
• REVIEW THE CANCELLATION POLICY